Mario en Bart Beck en Emons is 27 & 24 jaar oud en Founder and Head of IBBESS, Co-Founder and Head of ThinkTank of IBBESS
Bewustwording en educatie
This morning you woke up, hit the alarm clock of your phone (fossil oil-based plastics), stood up, got dressed (fossil oil-based polyester) and poured your coffee in your glossy mug (fossil oil-based paint). Fossil resources are omnipresent! But there is a solution: a biobased economy where all organically based materials are derived from renewable resources in a sustainable way!
The iconic year 2050 is set as a benchmark year at which various climate-related emission- and resource extraction practices are set to be reduced to sustainable levels. That is 35 years from now, approximately a full lifetime of work. At that time the people who set this ‘deadline’ will be long retired. If you think about who is going to solve the unknowns along this path or make things worse, it is us, the next working generation: the future consumer, the future discoverer, the future polluter. How do we get these fresh minds steered towards a biobased economy, as part of the circular economy?
The minds of students or our generation are triggered by mental challenges and cool new technologies. This is how we get the next generation on board of the biobased economy. Show them how biobased products in your daily-life can be sustainable, improve the quality of live, but also outperform their oil-based counterpart. Let them think about matters they can identify themselves with. And most importantly, let them experience the doing instead of just thinking.
The International BioBased Economy Student SymbioSUM (IBBESS) was established with these aspects in mind and inspires students for a career in the biobased economy. Our SymbioSUM is the sum of a ThinkTank and a Conference to achieve a richer experience than the sum of both parts.
How does this work? At our Kick-Off event we give students from various disciplines one out of three challenges, which are formulated by our industry partners. We teach our students how to explore the problem and ask the proper questions. During the one-day Conference we provide inspiring talks on social, economical, and technical aspects of the BioBased Economy featuring bottlenecks, solutions, and outlooks. Next to that we add a more personal touch by facilitating the dialogue between professionals and participants. Students do no just absorb but actively use the Conference for solving the challenge. After the Conference our participants join forces and translate their impressions into a concrete idea that will be pitched towards the stakeholders in the 2 days ThinkTank.
Let us be the Sustainable Generation and make the Bioeconomy a reality!
Join us: www.ibbess.org
We believe in a society that is not dependent on fossil resources, one where we deploy natures potential. Our first step is to raise awareness and inspire students in the Netherlands. We show them what opportunities lay ahead of them and how they could kickstart their career in the biobased economy. In a further stage we aim to engage students on a European level, host (active) job and networking events for companies operating in the biobased economy. Let the voice of the next generation be heard. Both students (easier access to professionals) and professionals (fresh minds, facilitated recruitment) benefit from our setup. So far we have:
- Engaged experts in the field to start the discussion with our participants (Michael Carus, Roel Bol, Arthur Mol and others)
- Established a strong network of support (Main Sponsor: Centre for BioBased Economy and others: https://goo.gl/x659f0)
- Created an interactive setup for the SymbioSUM that is no-where to be found within bioeconomy initiatives
- Three big industry partners provided a biobased challenge: https://goo.gl/bjFTxw
- Engaged several potential partners that provide us the funding and resources to build our initiative the coming years
IBBESS (International BioBased Economy Student SymbioSUM)
Rol binnen initiatief
The initial idea of IBBESS was developed in November/ December 2014. It is my personal idea and together with Bart Emons, we started a student team and engaged more than 100 professionals to be involved in our initiative. I am personally involved in all aspects of IBBESS, creating the vision, the mission, giving direction and helping out in each of the teams:?
- ThinkTank (convincing companies to join)?
- Conference (how to establish an engaging conference)
- Marketing (creating and maintaining the website www.ibbess.org)
- Recruitment (creating and conducting a nation wide marketing campaign)?
- Organisation (leading, facilitating + self-built project management system in Google Drive)
- Finance (acquiring major funding opportunities)?
- Logistics (organization of location)?
Mario Beck approached me with the idea of a biobased conference in Nov/Dec 2014 and together we developed it into the SymbioSUM of today. We managed to gather a student team of volunteers, activate around 100 professionals, and will kick-off our first event in June 2016. As co-founder of IBBESS I am personally involved in the entire development of all aspects of IBBESS. This includes the mission, vision, and the SymbioSUM concept with a special focus on the thinktank. Specifically I worked on:
- Conference (engaging speakers, general storyline and connection with challenge)
- ThinkTank (securing company partners, developing the challenges + setup)
- Marketing (recruitment and PR at other conferences)
- Organisation (supporting, facilitating)
- Funding (acquiring major funding opportunities)
Vanuit welke rol
Tired of just hearing about sustainability, but you actually want to do something? Go to www.ibbess.org, pick one of our biobased challenges and kick-start your green career now! Mario @ IBBESS Bart @ IBBESS